Is a higher learning institution (University) based in highlands of Minembwe, South Kivu Province. Created in 2000 and accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education and Universities in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), under ministerial decree no: 128/MINESU/CAB.MIN/FL/RS/2006 in April 2006 as a college. It was a credited as a private university in 2011 under Ministerial decree, no: 330/MINESU/CABMIN/MMI/PK/2011. The university is an undergraduate program with 4 Faculties namely, Theology, Agricultural Sciences, Environment and Community Development; Health Sciences and Education Sciences. In future the University plans to introduce Peacebuilding and Business and Administration among others.
The university is a community of researchers and scholars engaged in creating and transmitting knowledge across a board of academic disciplines. This belief is energized by a deep commitment to students, and by the consciousness of the university’s role in serving rural communities of Minembwe and beyond.
The University’s philosophy is “Education for Sustainable Human Development” and its moto is Vision, Science and Mission.
In the pursuit of its philosophy, UEMI is inspired by its vision of becoming a ''Centre of Spiritual Anointing and Academic Excellence in providing quality education programs'' upon which local communities build their capacities, realize their potentials and dignify their existence. In order to build local communities capacities, the University's vision focuses on achieving 2 things:
Quality teaching and learning
- where excellence in education drives both scholarly commitment to disseminate and apply existing knowledge, and a research commitment to discover and apply new knowledge;
- where teachers are also researchers working on appropriate technologies, helping generations of students learn and pursuit knowledge, and develop their cognitive skills, cultural values and professional expertise of the highest level;
- where Christian values, truth and integrity may be pursued without fear or favour;
- where scientific and rational inquiry are solidly promoted; and where academic freedom is protected.
Research and Development institution
- Committed to research-development approach involving local communities not only as beneficiaries but also as full partners:
- where knowledge is developed for and with the local communities;
- where health and medical sciences respond to issues of good and reproductive health of communities;
- where justice and peace, environment protection, disaster risk reduction and policy reforms are advocated;
- where rural population's aspirations for an improved quality of life are inspired and nurtured.
- where community members tell their own stories and write their own history.
The University as part of the country’s educational system shall provide a comprehensive educational program for the people of Minembwe region to seek, discover, interpret and communicate knowledge. It is also committed to put knowledge to work through its programs for the rural sustainable development.
The mission is to produce graduates who are morally strong and technically competent in mobilizing resources through science, technology and entrepreneurship that are locally adaptive; Develop and deliver technology to the rural population in order to spur a higher level of productivity and be a catalyst of community transformation.
The university aims to train young people who are theoretically and practically balanced, ethically sound, responsible, motivated, pro-active and experts in instruction, production and management, processing and delivery services related to the fields of their studies and to impart human and spiritual values.
The University will be guided by the profound humane and scholarly values inherent in the highest ideals of knowledge sharing. The University is guided by Christian values, quality and excellence; professionalism; teamwork and unity; and institutional pride in preserving the good name of the University with the spirit of service to the people in rural communities.